Friday, October 10, 2008

Making Plans

Well, this morning I woke up a little bit sick. I don't really know if I'm sick yet, but the head is pretty congested and I'm pretty sore. The gym that we all signed up for is phenomenal. Brand new equipment, tons of top of the line treadmills and machines, and a good amount of free weights. I especially love it because, not being a very big guy myself, the Chinese are typically smaller than I am. So this basically means that I can walk around the gym feeling a little confident that I'm not curling 5 lbs or benching the bar alone. I have been going to the gym nearly every day and I had to take yesterday easy. I'm still pretty sore today so it makes me think I might be getting sick.
How is life in the US? From what I'm hearing, the stocks are in shambles, the financial crises has taken a turn for the worst, the presidential debates are heating up and people are running around like Chicken Little screaming the sky is falling! I can't help but say that I feel totally disconnected from my country right now. The slowing economy never really showed while I was in the States, but now I feel like everyone is feeling it. Jimmy is pretty up to date on things but I personally haven't had time to really sit down and get the big picture. I'm pretty sure that my plans are definitely going to have to change in response to what is happening. I am currently a Finance major, about to graduate in a year and a half and when all is said and done, I'm most likely not going to have an easy time finding a career. I do have a possible lead with an accounting firm, but if that falls through I'll be swimming up a terrible stream. I've been considering my options and right now, China isn't looking too bad in terms of business opportunities. I've already been thinking about coming out here next summer with said accounting firm but now I'm seriously weighing my options. I can either stay in New York City this summer, try and find a financial job, try and make money in one of the most expensive cities, and try and make do. Or...I can try and come out here with my accounting firm, if that doesn't work, come to China working for another financial or accounting firm, or come to China to tutor English. Either way, it seems more logical to spend a summer abroad than stay in the US. Especially because I'm an international business major. We'll see what happens.
I've already started my weekend because I don't have classes on Friday so I plan on taking it easy this weekend. Catching up on sleep, enjoying the decently warm days of Autumn and doing homework are in the forecast. I've bought a badminton racket and I have gotten to play with some of my friends. We can't really play as well as the Chinese but it's at least time outdoors.
Of course, I can't keep everyone waiting forever for the pictures of my National Holiday trip, so here they are:


No comments: