Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Czech Out My Shirt

One time, while waiting in the train station for my train, I was sitting on the bench, tired and hot. I couldn't really get comfortable and I can remember this was only my second day in Prague. I was really tired and gross from walking around all day and really wanted nothing more than to just go home (have no hill to climb) and rest. As I was sitting on the bench, eyes closed, I felt a little tug on my shirt. It was the guy next to me. He pointed to my shirt, which kind of looks like it has paint spatter on it, and said something in Czech. I obviously didn't understand him, so I kind of mumbled something like "I don't speak Czech" and smiled. He continued on, using gestures and still speaking Czech to me. He was pointing to my shirt and using a painting motion his shirt. By this time, I think he was trying to ask me if I had painted the design on my t-shirt. I said no, and shook my head and moved my arms. He pointed to my shirt again and said something. OK, now I'm getting tired of this. I once again tried to convey that I didn't speak Czech. The older man, who was wearing a dirty t-shirt with grease stains on his rounded belly and gray hair with a stubbly beard, refused to not talk to me. He heard me say something about English, so he was mumbling something and I said "American" and he said "Arab?". I said no, "American" and he said "Muslim?". By this point, I was so confused and had decided that this conversation was going no where. I said no again, and then he said, "Gypsy". I said no no no no no and he responded by pointing to himself and saying again, "I Gypsy". OK. By now I figured he might be Hungarian or something but I didn't really know where he was going with this. I smiled and said OK and then turned away, hoping to end the conversation. He kind of mumbled a little bit more, but I think he got the idea that I was confused and can't really have a conversation with him when I don't speak his language. When my train arrived at the platform, I left, smiled and waved at the guy, who waved back and smiled. It was an oddly bizarre encounter, but after telling Jenny about it, she said it's very common for Czech people to try and communicate with foreigners in this way. She said she has had friends who have hosted English speaking foreigners and whose parents would talk to them in Czech. When the visitors would respond in English or not at all, they would continue to speak--either slower or louder or both. It's kind of like when someone can't hear you after you say something and you have to speak with emphasis on every word, like "Do--You--Under--Stand--What--I'm--Saying--To--You". I laughed about the whole situation and took the experience as a compliment. The old man liked my shirt. Great.

No comments: