Thursday, July 22, 2010

Day 3: I’m the Favorite

By day three, the students were now making friends and we’ve had enough funny moments to make fun of people. I’m somehow the butt of many jokes, and everyone likes to pick on me and make me dance in front of everyone during the “Morning Energizer”. Each morning we start the day by waking the students up with exercises, funny movies, and some activities. There are two boxes, the Wish Box and the Gossip Box which are open for the students to put notes in. In the wish box, people can say, “I wish the red team goes up and does the chicken dance.” And the red team would have to go up and do the chicken dance. The Gossip Box has all the juicy gossip of the camp, “Frank and Natasha were dancing together last night” It’s all in good fun, and I can’t even describe some of the craziness that happens in the morning. Let’s just say, they’ve all figured out how much I hate dancing in front of everyone and now I have to dance almost every day.
Day three starts the beginning of Project 3, which is about managing their online reputation. It was a really good project to do, because most of the students were aware of privacy issues on the internet, but I think we made it clear that things on the internet are there forever. Each group had to pretend they were “Online Reputation Consultants” and they had to give a presentation about their company’s services on Day 4 to a university.
During the afternoon, we had a volleyball tournament for them. My team won and everybody that participated earned points for their team (Red, Yellow, Green or Blue). I think we had 3 people from the red team on my team, so that was really awesome. The summer sun by this time was getting really hot, and every day I was surprised to wake up to such beautiful weather. The students were really coming together and bonding.
After dinner, the students got ready for the “Masquerade Party” and each person made a special mask for the theme. This was the first party of the camp, and everyone enjoyed it. The music was loud, and everyone was dancing (all 20 of them at least) and it was kind of like an awkward high school dance at first. With only 20 students, there really isn’t that many people, but we made it work and everyone had a great time. The whole night I was trying to get the keys to the girls room from Jenny, because I wanted to start a toilet-paper war with the girls. We had already discussed this before, but Jenny didn’t feel like getting the keys so I compromised and told Jenny I would get them tomorrow. The guys were really excited to start pranking the girls and so was I. (hahaha, you wondered why I’m the favorite!) By this night, I was exhausted. It was becoming a lot of hard work, waking up at 8 am, thinking all day, coordinating the schedule, hanging out with the students, playing volleyball, laughing too much and everything. I was doing great, tired, and enjoying everything. But I could tell that some of the students were really not tired, so after the Masquerade Party ended at 11 PM or so, I suggested playing a game of Mafia (which is too much to explain here, but if you Wikipedia/Google it you can figure it out). We ended up playing mafia, and due to its addictive nature, we ended up playing until 1 AM. Ana, from Brazil, is probably the best Mafia player I’ve ever played with in my entire life. She knows who’s in the mafia after the first round, she knows who to save if she’s the doctor. It kind of took some fun out of the game because she is that good! I went to bed thinking that life at camp MBM was good and I was ready to start the next day.

No comments: