Monday, July 5, 2010

I Can't Believe It's Not Butter

There's a lot of things about the Czech Language that makes it hard to live in Prague. The language is hard to read, understand and speak. When we first arrived, it was enough work to get around on our own, but we also discovered the language barrier in other places as well. The funniest thing that happened was when Ana went to the grocery store to buy a few things. I'm not sure who she was with, but they had bought the normal things, bread, eggs, butter, milk, etc. When I got home, everyone was laughing hysterically. Ana offered me buttered bread, but I didn't want it so I just said "No Thanks". Everyone was a little disappointed and kept offering me the bread. I usually don't eat bread anyway, so I told them that I really don't want it but thanks anyway. After a failed attempt, they caved in and told me what happened. Apparently, the butter Ana bought, wasn't butter at all, but a stick of yeast used to raise dough. She had already eaten several pieces of "buttered" bread, before Jenny came home and asked who was eating this stuff. We waited all night for her stomach to explode, but I guess nothing happens when you eat a bunch of yeast.

No comments: